Technical visits and tours
During the annual meeting and congress week, technical visits are planned on Tuesday 31st May 2022, lasting all or part of the day. The list of these technical visits open to the delegates and to the accompanying persons is as follows:
- Bimont dam (operator SCP) and INRAE geomechanics laboratory near Aix-en-Provence. A major rehabilitation program of the Bimont arch dam (H = 85m) has recently been completed. The INRAE laboratory is a unique consortium of test benches dedicated to ground erosion and to geosynthetics.
- Dardennes dam (operator City of Toulon). A major rehabilitation program that will still be in progress in June 2021 is undertaken on the Dardennes gravity dam (H=31m).
- Camargue Rhône river levees (operator SYMADREM) near Arles. The Camargue levees form one of France’s largest levee systems. A global security program is in progress since several years.
- Gréoux and Quinson dams (operator EDF), on the Verdon river. The Gréoux earthfill dam (H=54m) and Quinson arch dam (H=45m) are key elements of the Durance/Verdon hydropower production system.
- Vallon Dol dam (operator SCP) and Marseille main water supply plants (operator SEM). The Vallon Dol dam is a rockfill dam (H=47m) entirely watertight (dam and reservoir) with asphalt concrete lining.
- Vallabrègues development scheme (operator CNR), located north of Avignon. This major run-of-river development project on the Rhône river includes a main dam, several large dikes and hydropower plant (6x35MW).
- Malpasset dam ruins near Fréjus. This arch dam (H=66m) failed in December 1959 at the end of the filling period, causing 423 casualties. The technical visit will make it possible to understand the mechanism and the causes of this disaster.
Study tours will be available after the Congress. They will last 3 to 4 days, starting on Saturday June 4th 2022, from Marseille. Presently, five tours are considered, with provisional programs mixing technical visits of dams with cultural and touristic activities:
- Provence: visits to the Gréoux, Quinson, Sainte-croix, Castillon, Serre-Ponçon, Saint-Christophe dams; Riez lavander distillery ; Quinson prehistory museum, Verdon river Canyon, Sisteron citadel, Bories (dry stone houses) villages, Roussillon ochres quarries. Return to Marseille.
- Côte-d’Azur (riviera) and Northern Italy: visits to the Malpasset, Les Mesce, Entracque dams; Grasse perfume distilleries, Picasso museum in Antibes or Matisse museum in Nice; Monte-Carlo Principality; Mercantour National park. End of tour in Milano or Torino.
- Northern Alps and Switzerland: Serre-Ponçon, Grand-Maison, Chambon, Roselend, Emosson dams; Briançon citadel, Beaufort cheese cellars, Chamonix, Geneva. End of tour in Geneva.
- Rhône valley: Visit to Caderousse, Donzère, Cusset and Génissiat dams; antique town of Arles; Avignon, Lyon, Savières canal. End of tour in Geneva.
- Corsica: Overnight boat crossing to Bastia; Visit to Calacuccia, Alésani, Ospédale, Tolla dams; citadels of Corte and Bonifacio; city of Ajaccio; Corsican singing concert. Return trip by plane to Marseille or Paris.